Filipino Food Series: Baguio’s Good Shepherds Ube Halaya Custard Cake (Purple Yam Custard Cake).
You can have Filipino Food Series: Baguio’s Good Shepherds Ube Halaya Custard Cake (Purple Yam Custard Cake) using 3 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Filipino Food Series: Baguio’s Good Shepherds Ube Halaya Custard Cake (Purple Yam Custard Cake)
- Prepare of Custard Ingredients: 5 egg yolks, 1 egg, 3 tsp brown sugar (you can add more if you like☺️) 1 tsp vanilla, 2/ tsp water, 1/2 cup of evaporated milk, 1/2 cup condensed milk.
- You need of Cake: 5 egg whites, 2 egg yolks, 2 tsp white sugar, 1 tbsp Purple Yam, 1tsp purple food colour, 1/4cup evaporated milk, 1/8 corn oil, 3/4 cup cake flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder.
- You need of Frosting: 1 bottle of Ube Halaya Jam (Purple Yam).
Filipino Food Series: Baguio’s Good Shepherds Ube Halaya Custard Cake (Purple Yam Custard Cake) step by step
- Custard – Make the caramel base of the custard first by melting sugar with a little bit of water. Once sugar is caramelised set it aside. In a separate bowl, mix egg, egg yolks, evaporated milk, condensed milk, vanilla. Then strain the egg mixture 4-5 times until it’s smooth. Remove the bubbles and pour in the mixture to the pan with the caramelised sugar..
- Cover with foil then punch holes to avoid water drops. Pre-heat the steamer for at least 10 minutes then put the custard pan and steam it for 30-40 minutes. Let it cool down, set aside or put it in a fridge..
- Cake Meringue – Make the egg white frothy first. Add sugar while continuously whisking until you achieve peaks. Set aside..
- Cake Batter: Mix together egg yolks, sugar, evaporated milk, oil, vanilla, Ube Halaya, purple food colour. Then add the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda. Mix until no lump. Then add the meringue by batch then fold gently..
- Pour in the mixture into a round shaped baking pan and steam it for 40 to 60 minutes. Use a skewer to test if cake is fully cooked. Set aside and let it cool down before cutting it into half..
- Frosting: I used the remaining Ube Halaya for frosting and Rosetta swirls using a piping tool (I think it would come out better using a piping bag) ✌️.