Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan. An ingredient that we always have in our pantry is refried beans. We love using it for quick and easy meals, such as buddha bowls, burritos, nachos and even in homemade quesadillas. This is a traditional vegetarian refried bean recipe that tastes great with hardly any fat!
The taste compared with my favorite beans at the local Mexican Resturant. These easy Crock Pot Refried Beans are a happy new staple around here. Creamy refried beans from scratch, right in your Crock Pot! You can have Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan
- Prepare 1 lb of dried pinto beans.
- It’s 1 of small onion, whole but peel this one.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, whole don't peel these.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Another small onion, peel and rough chop this one.
- Prepare 2 of more cloves garlic if small use 3, peel & coarsely chop these.
- Prepare of Good tasting vegetable oil that you like.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Water.
With a simple list of ingredients, these lard-free vegetarian and vegan refried beans are a cinch to make. These vegetarian enchiladas are gluten free too. Substitute cheese with vegan cheese for a hearty vegan fare. Can dinner get better than this??
Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan instructions
- Soak beans in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse well. Using fresh water and large pot, cover beans by at least 4 inches of water, bring to boil, add a Tb salt, 1 small onion (peeled but not cut), and 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled. Lower heat, cover, and cook beans until soft, about 90 mins – 2 hours. Drain beans and discard onion and garlic. Do not omit this step. You must remove it all..
- In bowl of lg food processor, add 1/2 of the beans, 2/3 cup water, second onion, & garlic cloves, 2 tsps salt & little pepper. Process to a thinnish pasty mixture. (Next batch will be thicker mixture). Put 1st batch in lg bowl, set aside..
- Second batch will be beans & water only. Put the rest of beans in processor, add 1/4 cup water and process until very thick mixture where you have a choice here to leave it a bit chunky to get a bite or add more water and process until smooth. 2 batches will have 2 different consistencies. Mix both together..
- Heat 2 Tbsps oil in very large skillet. Add beans, stir and cook beans about 15 mins, keep stirring, adding more water if needed to get correct consistency. Taste and adjust salt..
- Serve with anything you like. Tomatoes, diced onions, lettuce, cheddar, sour cream, salsa, chopped chives, olives, jalapenos, candied jalapenos, my new fave, etc..
I forget to add that I used homemade pinto beans also that I refried with a little bit of onion powder. Home Side Dishes Fat Free Vegan Refried Beans. I love Mexican food so much, so I've wanted to make this recipe for a long time. This is a healthier and vegan version and I'm so happy because is super simple, you just need to cook the beans for a few minutes, drain them. Dry beans can also be cooked in a pressure cooker.